Allihies Mines: Caminches by Dan Tietzsch-Taylor

Ore was extracted from a 116 metres long, north-northeast trending vein with a slight “S” bend, extending down to 400 metres. All that remains are several shafts and a few ruined walls of buildings of uncertain function, and the stamping mill site alongside a stream to the south.




1818 Allihies Mines: Caminches the mine opens and provides 16% of the years ore production.
1819 Two water-driven stamping mills installed.
1821 (November) Original workings falling off, but more promise in deep west level.
1822 (July) New whim shaft sunk; the mine is now supporting the company’s operations.
1823 (August) Mine fails!
1824 (March) Mine looking much better.
1825 (January) A new forge built. (August) Mine failing again.
1826 Decline continues.
1827 (April) Mine prospects revised.
1828 (November) Decision to erect a steam engine.
1829 (July) Second-hand, 36″ steam engine bought from newly closed Ross Island Copper Mine, Killarney, for £650 (Price when new in 1826 was £2000). (November) Engine delivered to Ballydonegan Bay and landed under difficult conditions.
1830 (April) Engine house completed and (October) engine up and running.
1833 Mine very productive.
1834 (August) New engine house built.
1835 (February) Whim steam engine bought (capstan type) from Neath Abbey Co. for £400 and installed.
1837 Low quantity of low quality ore produced.
1838 (November) Two new trials given up.
1839 (January) Little improvement but (later in year) a slight increase in production.
1841 Gloomy prospects.
1845 (- 1853) Mine worked out and closed.
1882 Mine reopened by new Berehaven Mining Company, but only briefly.
1957 Diamond drilling by new Emerald Isle Mining Company.