Allihies Mines: Kealogue Mine by Dan Tietzsch-Taylor

Kealogue mine lies on a continuation of the same fault line as Caminches mine. There were no surface showings of in situ copper ore, and exploration and trials were based on mineralized float brought to the surface by weathering processes. Over 18 shafts were sunk, dispersed along a sporadically mineralized, 2,000 metres long and 25 metres wide north-northeast trending vein with an “S” bend midway along its length. Scattered along the mine’s length, as well as the shafts, are (from north to south) the remains of the steam engine house for Puxley’s steam engine, the stables and timber yard, the foundations of two more engine houses and the main ore dressing floors.



1842 (March) The mine is opened and mine house begun (completed October). (April) trial adits begun and numerous shafts sunk.
(January) Four named shafts, powder house completed. (June) Water a problem, costs £50 a month to pump out.
1844 (January) A temporary engine, brought from Dooneen or Caminches, is erected. (May) A little ore raised.
1845 (May) Puxley’s 52″ steam engine ordered from Perran Foundry Co., Cornwall, for £1,578. (September) Engine arrives and is erected. (- 1846) Insufficient ore production to cover mine costs… costs high partly because twice as far to transport ore for shipping.
1846 (August) Advertisements placed for 100 miners.
1847 (February) Harman’s Bank, London, fails. Puxley loses £10,000 and mine closed until other mines can make up the loss.
1848 (June) Mine reopened and road constructed to take ore to Ballydonegan shipping place.
1861 (July) A strike by 100 miners, over a fatality, briefly closes the mine.
1864 (October) A second strike, over an increase in hours to match those worked at Mountain for the same wages. A march on Mountain mine is turned away by a show of police force, and the miners return to work soon after.
1868 (January – March) A third strike, over pay, closes the mine again. Henry Puxley increases wages. Henry Puxley sells the mines.
1872 A steam winding engine breaks down and the new Berehaven Mining Company fits a new cylinder. There are new underground works, and 1,473 tons of ore are raised.
1873 Production falls due labour shortages. 1875. The mine abandoned.
1878 A new shaft is sunk at New Kealogue, on a fault just east of the Kealogue vein, but no viable ore is found.
1882 New Kealogue is deemed failed.